عنوان مقاله [English]
In this study, the effect of two sodium chloride concentrations of 4 and 8 g/L on two marigold sparse petal and compact petal genotypes evaluated at germination and adult stages using factorial experiment based on randomized complete block design. There were differences between genotypes in some germination indices, vegetative and reproductive morphological and physiological traits. Some traits were reduced by increasing sodium chloride concentration to 8 g/L in both growing stages. Interactional effects of salt × genotype were significant on germination percentage and leaf water saturation deficient at seedling and adult stages, respectively. Sparse petal and compact petal genotypes were more tolerant to salinity in seedling and adult stages, respectively. Therefore, cultivation of compact petal marigold genotype in areas with water salinity problem up to 4 g/L NaCl is suitable and advisable.
1. Alizadeh A (2006) Soil, Water, and Plant Relationships. Imam Reza University Publications: Mashhad. Iran [in Persian]
2. Askarian M (2004) The effects of salinity and dryness on germination and seedling establishment in Elymus junceus and Kochia prostrata. Pajouhesh va Sazandegi 17(64): 71-78. [in Persian with English abstract]
3. Azevedo Neto AD, Prisco JT, Enéas-Filho J, Lacerda CF, Silva JV, Costa PHA, Filho EG (2004) Effects of salt stress on plant growth, stomatal response and solute accumulation of different maize genotypes. Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology 16(1): 31-38.
4. Bartels D, Sunkar R (2005) Drought and salt tolerance in plants. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 24(1): 23-58.
5. Bayat H, Alirezaie M, Neamati H (2012) Impact of exogenous salicylic acid on growth and ornamental characteristics of calendula (Calendula officinalis L.) under salinity stress. Journal of Stress Physiology and Biochemistry 8(1): 258-267.
6. Blaylock AD (1994) Soil Salinity, Salt Tolerance, and Growth Potential of Horticultural and Landscape Plants. Cooperative Extension Service, Department of Plant, Soil, and Insect Sciences, College of Agriculture, University of Wyoming: Laramie.
7. Dehghan E, Naderi A (2007) Evaluation of salt tolerance in three varieties of corn. Journal of Science and Technology of Agriculture and Natural Resources 11(41): 275-284. [in Persian with English abstract]
8. Eskandari Torbaghan M (2012) Effect of salt stress on germination and some growth parameters of marigold (Calendula officinalis L.). Plant Science Journal 1(1): 7-19.
9. Farooq M, Wahid A, Kobayashi N, Fujita D, Basra SMA (2009) Plant Drought Stress: effects, mechanisms and management. Agronomy for Sustainable Agriculture 29(1) 185-212.
10. Farshadfar E, Moradi F, Mohammadi R (2013) Evaluation of bread wheat genotypes for drought tolerance using agro-physiological traits. Iranian Journal of Dryland Agriculture. 1(3): 65-85. [in Persian with English abstract]
11. Fathi A, Barari Tari D (2016) Effect of drought stress and its mechanism in plants. International Journal of Life Sciences 10(1): 1- 6.
12. Gholami P, Ghorbani J, Ghaderi SH (2011) The effect of different levels of salinity and drought on seed germination characteristics of Secale monatum in early growth stages. Plant Ecophysiology 3(8): 78-88. [in Persian with English abstract]
13. Hasheminia M (2004) Water Management in Agriculture. Ferdowsi University Publication: Mashhad. [in Persian]
14. Hussain MI, Lyra DA, Farooq M, Nikoloudakis N, Khalid N (2016) Salt and drought stresses in safflower: a review. Agronomy and Sustainable Development 36(4): 1-34.
15. Janbaz M, Gholipour A, Jahanbakhsh S (2011) Effect of wheat seed priming on leaf proteins changes under salt stress. Proceedings of the 2nd National Seed Technology Conference. Islamic Azad University – Mashhad Branch, Iran. [in Persian]
16. Jenks MA, Hasegawa PM (2005) Plant Abiotic Stress. Blackwell Publishing Ltd: New Jersey 2nd Edition.
17. Joshi R, Pareek SL, Pareek A (2018) Engineering abiotic stress response in plants for biomass production. Journal of Biological Chemistry 293(14): 5035-5043.
18. Kafi Falavarjani M, Nezami A, Hosseini H, and Masoumi A (2005) Physiological effects of drought stress by polyethylene glycol on germination of lentil (Lens culinaris Medik.) genotypes. Iranian Journal of Field Crops Research 3(1): 69-80. [in Persian with English abstract]
19. Karimi G, Ghorbanli M, Heidari H, Assareh M (2007) Investigation of salt tolerance mechanisms in range species of Atriplex verrucifera (M.B). Pajouhesh and Sazandegi. 19(3): 42-48. [in Persian with English abstract]
20. Kozminska A, Al Hassan M, Kumar D, Oprica L, Martinelli F, Grigore MN, Vicente O, Boscaiu M (2017) Characterizing the effects of salt stress in Calendula officinalis L. Journal of Applied Botany and Food Quality 90(40): 323–329.
21. Kumar D (2006) Breeding for drought resistance. In: Ashraf M, and Harris PJC (eds.). Abiotic Stresses: Plant Resistance through Breeding and Molecular Approaches. International Book Distributing Co. India 145-175.
22. Kusvuran S (2012) Influence of drought stress on growth, ion accumulation and antioxidative enzymes in okra genotypes. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology 14(3): 401- 406.
23. Makkizadeh Tafti M, Tavakol Afshari R, Majnoon Hosseini N, Naghdi Badi HA (2008) Evaluation of salinity tolerance and absorption of salt by Borage (Borago officinalis L.). Iranian Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants 24(3): 253-262. [in Persian with English abstract]
24. Munns R (2002) Comparative physiology of salt and water stress. Plant, Cell and Environment 25(2): 239–250.
25. Navabpour S, Latifi N, Hosseini SH, Kazemi G (2011) Evaluation of grain yield in relation to yield components and growth indices in wheat. Journal of Crop Production 4(3): 157-173. [in Persian with English abstract]
26. Omidbeigi R (1997) Approaches for production and process of medicinal plants. Vol.: 2. Tarahane Nashr Publication. Tehran. [in Persian]
27. Othman Y, Al-Karaki G, Al-Tawaha AR, Al-Horani A (2006) Variation in germination and ion uptake in barley genotypes under salinity conditions. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences 2 (1): 11-15.
28. Poustini K, Zehtab salmasi S (1997) Effect of salinity on dry matter production and remobilization in two wheat cultivars. Iranian Journal of Agricultural Science 4(29): 11-16. [in Persian with English abstract]
29. Rahmani N, Daneshian J, Aliabadi Farahani H, Taherkhani T (2011) Evaluation of nitrogenous fertilizer influence on oil variations of Calendula (Calendula officinalis L.) under drought stress conditions. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 5(5): 696-701.
30. Rahmani N, Valadabadi SA, Daneshian j, Bigdeli M (2008) The effect of water deficit and nitrogen on oil yield of Calendula officinalis L. Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants 24(1): 101-108. [in Persian with English abstract]
31. Ramezani E, Ghajar Sepanlou M, Naghdi Badi HA (2011) Evaluation of potential germination of echium seeds (Echium amoenum Fisch. & Mey) in saline conditions. Watershed Management Research 24(2)1: 80-87. [in Persian with English abstract]
32. Safarnejad A, Hamidi H (2008) Study of morphological characters of Foeniculum vulgare under salt stress. Iranian Journal of Rangelands and Forests Plant Breeding and Genetic Research 16(1): 125-140. [in Persian with English abstract]
33. Sarmadnia GH, Tavakoli H, and Ghorbani A (1988) Study on drought tolerance of different wheat landraces in germination stage. Proceedings and the Results of the first Conference on Investigating Rainfed Issues in Iran. Mashhad, Iran. [in Persian]
34. Sedghi M, Nemati A, Esmaielpour B (2010) Effect of seed priming on germination and seedling growth of two medicinal plants under salinity. Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture 22(2): 130-139.
35. Shamsoddin S, and Farahbakhsh H (2009) The Effect of salinity on yield and some agronomical and physiological traits of two maize (Zea mays L.) cultivars in Kerman. Journal of Plant Productions (Agronomy, Breeding and Horticulture) 32(1): 13-25. [in Persian with English abstract]
36. Shanon MC (2001) Breeding, selection and the genetics of salt tolerance. In: Staples RC, Toenniessen GH. (eds) Salinity Tolerance in Plants. John Wiley and Sons: New York 231-254.
37. Shariat A, Assareh MH (2008) Effects of drought stress on pigments, prolin, soluble sugar and growth parameters on four eucalyptus species. Pajouhesh and Sazandegi 21(1): 139-148. [in Persian with English abstract]
38. Talebi S, Jafarpour M, Mohammadkhani A, Gholparvar A (2000) Effect of salt stress on seed germination traits of borage (Borago officinalis). Proceedings of the 5th National Conference on New Ideas in Agriculture. Ilam, Iran. [in Persian with English abstract]