عنوان مقاله [English]
To investigate the effects of different nitrogen and potassium fertilizer rates on nitrogen use efficiency (NUE), nitrogen uptake efficiency (NUPE), nitrogen utilization efficiency (NUTE) and N, K, P, Ca and Mg nutrient contents in sweet fennel, a factorial experiment was conducted based on randomized completely block design with three replications in University of Zanjan, Iran. The applied fertilizers included 50, 100, and 150 kg/ha of N and K from urea and potassium sulfate sources, respectively. N and K application had significant effect on NUE and N, P, Ca, P, and Mg contents. Increasing nitrogen application rate levels desreased NUE, NUPE, and NUTE. Increasing of K application rate caused increment of N efficiency. Application of N and K fertilizers increased N, K and P concenterations on bulb tissue. Increasing N application rates resulted in more Ca and Mg concentrations, but application of K decreased Ca and Mg contents in bulb tissue. Regarding short growing period of sweet fennel, lower rates of N fertilizer is recommended to improve NUE.
1. Abd El- Latif KM, Osman EAM, Abdullah R, Abdelkader N (2011) Response of potato plants to potassium fertilizer rates and soil moisture deficit. Advances in Applied Science Research 2(2): 388-397.
2. Abou El-Magd MM, Zaki MF, Camilia Y (2010) Effect of planting dates and different levels of potassium fertilizer on growth, yield and chemical composition of sweet fennel cultivars under newly reclaimed sandy soil conditions. Journal of American Science 6(7): 89-105.
3. Belanger JR, Walsh JE, Richards P, Milburn H, Ziadi N (2002) Nitrogen fertilization and irrigation affects tuber characteristics of Two Potato Cultivars. American Journal of Potato Research 79: 269-279.
4. Biesiada A, Koáota E, (2010) The effect of nitrogen fertilization on yielding and chemical composition of radicchio chicory for autumn-harvest cultivation. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum, Hortorum Cultus 9(4): 85–91.
5. Birdane F M, Cemek M, Birdane YO, Gülçin İ, Büyükokuroğlu M E (2007) Beneficial effects of Foeniculum vulgare on ethanol-induced acute gastric mucosal injury in rats. World Journal of Gastroenterology 13(4): 607.
6. Castellanos JZ, Lazcano I, Sosa Baldibia A, Badillo V, Villalobos S (1999) Nitrogen fertilization and plant nutrient status monitoring the basis for high yields and quality of broccoli in potassium rich Vertisols of central Mexico. Better Crops International plant Nutrition Institute 13(2): 25-27.
7. Dawson JC, Huggins DR, Jones SS (2008) Characterizing nitrogen use efficiency in natural and agricultural ecosystems to improve the performance of cereal crops in low-input and organic agricultural systems. Field Crops Research 107: 89–101.
8. Delogu G, Cattivelli L, Pecchioni N, De Falcis D, Maggiore T, Stanca AM (1998) Uptake and agronomic efficiency of nitrogen in winter barley and winter wheat. European Journal of Agronomy 9: 11–20.
9. Dong H, Li W, Eneji AE, Zhang D ( 2012) Nitrogen rate and plant density effects on yield and late-season leaf senescence of cotton raised on a saline field. Field Crops Research 126 137–144.
10. Ehsanipour A, Razmjoo J, Zeinali H (2012) Effect of nitrogen rate on yield and quality of fennel (Foeniculum vulgare Mill.) accessions. Industrial Crops and Products 35: 121–125.
11. El-Bassiony AM, Fawzy ZF, Zaki MF, El-Nemr MA (2014) Increasing productivity of two sweet fennel cultivars by foliar spraying of some bio and organic compounds. Middle East Journal of Applied Sciences 4(4): 794-801.
12. EL-Desuki M, Abdel-Mouty M M, Ali A H (2006) Response of onion plants to additional dose of potassium application. Journal of Applied Science Research 2 (9): 592-597.
13. Elwan MWM, Abd El-hamed KE (2011) Influence of nitrogen form, growing season and sulfur fertilization on yield and the content of nitrate and vitamin C of broccoli. Scientia Horticulturae 127(3):181-187.
14. Gaj R, Gorski D (2014) Effects of different phosphorus and potassium fertilization on contents and uptake of macronutrients (N, P, K, Ca, Mg) in winter wheat. Journal of Central European Agriculture 15(4): 169-187.
15. Ghasemi A, Tukleau M, Zabihi HR (2012) Effect of nitrogen, potassium and humic acid on vegetative growth, nitrogen and potassium uptake of potato minituber in greenhouse condition. Journal of Agronomy and Plant Breeding 48(3):535-544. [in Persian with English Abstract]
16. Gruda N (2005) Impact of environmental factors on product quality of greenhouse vegetables for fresh consumption. Critical Review in Plant Science 24: 227-274.
17. Guarda G, Padovan S, Delogu G (2004) Grain yield, nitrogen-use efficiency and baking quality of old and modern Italian bread-wheat cultivars grown at different nitrogen levels. European Journal of Agronomy 21: 181–192.
18. Heidary M, Jamshid P (2010) Interaction between salinity and potassium on grain yield, carbohydrate content and nutrient uptake in Pearl Millet. ARPN Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science 5(6): 39-46.
19. Imas P (1999) Quality aspects of K nutrition in horticultural crops. I.P. I-International potash institute.
20. Jackson ML (1958) Soil chemical analysis, Prentice Hall Inc, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. United States of America, 498.
21. Ju C, Buresh RJ, Wang Z, Zhang H, Liu L, Yang J, Zhang J (2015) Root and shoot traits for rice varieties with higher grain yield and higher nitrogen use efficiency at lower nitrogen rates application. Field Crops Research 175: 47–55.
22. Kant S, Bi YM, Rothstein SJ (2011) Understanding plant response to nitrogen limitation for the improvement of crop nitrogen use efficiency. Journal of Experimental Botany 62(4): 1499-1509.
23. Khamadi F, Mesgarbashi M, Hasibi P, Farzaneh M, Enayatzamir N (2014) Influence of crop residue and nitrogen levels on nutrient content in grain wheat. Agronomy Journal (Pajouhesh & Sazandegi) 109: 158-165. [In Persian with English Abstract]
24. Koocheki A, Seyyedi S M (2015) Relationship between nitrogen and phosphorus use efficiency in saffron (Crocus sativus L.) as affected by mother corm size and fertilization. Industrial Crops and Products 71: 128–137.
25. Lemaire G, Jeuffroy M, Gastal F (2008). Diagnosis tool for plant and crop N status in vegetative stage Theory and practices for crop N management. European Journal of Agronomy 28: 614-624.
26. Lionel-Jordan M, Sylvain P (2004) Leaf area establishment of a maize field crop under potassium deficiency. Plant and Soil 265:75-92.
27. Mahgoub HM, Eid RA, Abou Leila BH (2006) Response of Iris bulbs growth in sandy soil to nitrogen and potassium fertilization. Journal if Applied Sciences Research 2 (11): 899–903.
28. Malvi U (2011) Interaction of micronutrients with major nutrients with special reference to potassium. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences 24 (1): 106-109.
29. Mansouri H, Banayan Aval M, Rezvani Moghaddam P, Lakzian A (2014) Management of nitrogen, irrigation and planting density in Persian shallot (Allium hirtifolium) by using central composite optimizing method. Agricultural knowledge and sustainable production 24(4): 41-60. [In Persian with English Abstract]
30. Modhej A, Naderi A, Emam Y, Aynehband A, Normohammadi G (2009) Effect of different nitrogen levels on grain yield, grain protein content and agronomic nitrogen use efficiency in wheat genotypes under optimum and post-anthesis heat stress conditions. Seed Plant Improve Journal 25: 353-371. [In Persian with English Abstract]
31. Moles DJ, Rangai SS, Bourke RM, Kasamani CT (1984) Fertilizer responses of taro in Papua New Guinea. In: S. Chandra (Ed.), Edible Aroids. Clarendon Press, 64–71.
32. Motesharezadeh B, Zarbizadeh M, Savaghebi Gh, Delshad M, Hosseini M, Bekhradi F (2017) Effects of different levels of Calcium nitrate on some Morpho-physiological and nutritional traits of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum Mill.). Iranian Journal of Horticultural Science 48(3): 535-544. [In Persian with English Abstract]
33. Mulla Wali M, Boland Nazar S, Tabataba'I J (2009) Effect of Different ammonium nitrate and potassium sulphate on some nutrients contents in onion (Allium cepa L.). Journal of Horticultural Science 25(1): 101-108. [In Persian with English Abstract]
34. Nowshad H, Mohammadian R, Khayyam S, Hamdi F (2014) Effect of amino acid containing organic fertilizers on nitrogen use efficiency and qualitative and quantitative properties of sugar beet. Journal of Sugar Beet 30 (2): 167-181. [In Persian with English Abstract]
35. Olsen SR, Cole CV, Watenabe FS, Dean LA (1954) Estimation of available phosphorous in soil by extraction with sodium bicarbonate. U. S. Department of Agriculture, Cris 939.USA.
36. Peyvast G, Olfati JA, Ramezani-Kharazi P, Kamari-Shahmaleki S (2009) Uptake of calcium nitrate and potassium phosphate from foliar fertilization by tomato. Journal of Horticulture and Forestry 1(1): 007-013.
37. Rakhsh F, Golchin A (2012) Effect of nitrogen and boron on yield and concentration of consuming food macro elements in broccoli head in a calcareous Soil. Journal of Greenhouse Culture Science and Technology 5(2): 43-51. [In Persian with English Abstract]
38. Ram M, Ram D, Roy SK (2003) Influence of an organic mulching on fertilizer nitrogen use efficiency and herb and essential oil yields in geranium (Pelargonium graveolens). Bioresource Technology 87: 273-278.
39. Randle W M (2000) Increasing nitrogen concentration in hydroponics solutions affects onion flavor and bulb quality. Journal of the American Society Horticultural Science 125(2): 254-259
40. Salvagiotti F, Castellarín JM, Miralles DJ, Pedrol HM (2009) Sulfur fertilization improves nitrogen use efficiency in wheat by increasing nitrogen uptake. Field Crops Research 113: 170–177.
41. Seyyedi S M, Ghorbani R, Rezvani Moghaddam P, Nassiri Mahallati M (2013) Nitrogen use efficiency and harvest index in black seed (Nigella sativa L.) at different weed competition durations. Journal of Plant Production 20: 141–156. [in Persian with English Abstract]
42. Wojciechowska R, Rozek S, Rydz A (2005) Broccoli yield and its quality in spring growing cycle as dependent on nitrogen fertilization. Folia Horticulturae 17(2): 141-152.
44. Yildirim E, Guvenc I, Turan M, Karatas A (2007) Effect of foliar urea application on quality, growth, mineral uptake and yield of broccoli (Brassica oleracea L., var. Italca). Plant soil Environment 53(3): 120-128.
45. Zareabyaneh H, Bayatvarkeshi M (2015) Effects of slow-release fertilizers on nitrate leaching, its distribution in soil profile, N-use efficiency, and yield in potato crop. Environmental Earth Sciences 74: 3385-3393.